News and Competitions
Students - News & Competitions
News and Reports
Students learning German have many opportunities to use and develop their language skills.
Scroll down to find good news stories for and about students of German (incl. results of competitions) and links to news media websites
VCE Scaling Report
Find out how choosing German advantages your ATAR score in Year 12. Not all subjects are treated equally!
Exchanges, Scholarships and Awards
The Expression of Interest forms for the AGTV-BJR Exchange will open for the 2017-2018 exchange in Term 1 2016.
SAGSE are always looking for host families (Yrs 10 to 12) and applications for scholarships (Years 11 and 12) are usually due in May.
The Goethe-Institut/AGTV Year 10 Awards applications are also due in May.
International Qualifications for Students of German
Internationally recognised certificates can be achieved by students through the Goethe-Institut in Australia.
Assessment can be conducted in your school by arrangement in some cases. This is a wonderful opportunity and well worth pursuing to promote your language program.
This is opportunity is not available in other languages. Contact your local Goethe-Institut for information about these exams. Visit the GI central website for an overview:
- Goethe-Institut Certifcate A1: Fit in Deutsch 1
- Goethe-Institut Certifcate A2: Fit in Deutsch 2 - overview and sample texts
- Goethe-Institut Classes
Competitions for Students
Competitions will come online throughout the year.
Scroll down on this page for results from previous competitions
GOOD NEWS STORIES ABOUT STUDENTS LEARNING GERMAN
Read about how learning German can open doors to new experiences and success.
AGTV Years 5 to 9 Poetry State Final Results
- AGTV Poetry State Final Results 2016
- AGTV Poetry State Final Results 2015
- AGTV Poetry State Final Results 2014
- AGTV Poetry State Final Results 2013
- AGTV State Final Results 2012
- AGTV State Final Results 2011
AGTV Kunst und Poesie Winners
- 2017 - TBC
- 2016 - Paul Klee
- 2015: Hundertwasser
- View some of the entries: VIMEO: Hundertwasser 2015
- 2014: Marc und Macke
- 2011: Klimt
AGTV Chor des Jahres
This competition was first held in 2015.
2016 Chor des Jahres
- Little Yarra Steiner School - First Prize
- Mentone Girls GS - Best Weihnachtslied Prize
- Viewbank College - Best Volkslied Prize
- German Language School Temple Society Australia - Primary Prize
2015 Chor des Jahres Winners
- Ensemble Under 10 - Donvale Christian College
- Ensemble Over 10 - Good Shepherd Lutheran Primary School
AGTV Song des Jahres Competition
Students write a song in German and produce a CD cover. (formerly Deutsch roX)
Past Winning Songs
- 2016 - Group: "Welt nicht zu verlieren" - German Band at Caulfield Grammar School
- 2016 - Solo: "Lass Herzen im Takt bleiben" - Alexis Warden - Oberon HS
- 2015 - "Lern es, leb es, lieb es! - Year 10 students at Oberon High School
- 2014 - 'Wir werden' - Year 10 students at CLC in Eltham
- 2013 - ' Das Wochenende' - Year 10 students from Oberon HS in Geelong
- 2012 - Michael from Vermont SC
- 2011 - Ilaria, Sarah, Leeah, Jaimi and Caitlin from CLC Eltham
AGTV Competition - Werbespot
This competition was offered for the first time in 2015.
2016: Advertise a product or service for young people
- First Prize - Little Yarra Steiner School: Esssofort
- Second Prize - Heatmont College: Glücklich-Schokolade
- Third Prize - Viewbank College: SPI Schulprodukte Inc.
- Creative Editing - Viewbank College: Machen Schön
2015 Topic: Choose German
- Winner Team: Frau Wurst GmbH - Oberon HS
- Runner-Up: Schlange Enterprises - Viewnbank College
Goethe-Institut / AGTV Year 10 Awards
Winner of the 3-week holiday course in Germany
- 2016 - Taraneh (Tara) Keshavarz - The University High School
- 2015 - Awar Awo - Hillcrest Christian College
- 2014 - Jack Ferry - Westbourne Grammar School
- 2013 - Alex Shem - Bright P-12 College
- 2012 - Hayley Major - Luther College
- 2011 - Eli Ivey - Bendigo South East College and Emily Danes - Vermont SC
- 2010 - Lachlan Douglass - Oberon HS
- 2009 - Jacqueline Da Costa - MacRobertson Girls' HS and Holly Sizer - Mirboo North SC
- 2008 - tbc
- 2007 - Naomi Kerber - Dimboola Memorial SC
- 2006 - tbc
- 2005 - Molly Herben - Rainbow SC and Samuel Chatwin - Mooroolbark SC
- 2004 - Jacinta Phelps - Melton SC
Goethe-Institut School Film Festival and Awards
The AGTV have sponsored prizes for this competition since its foundation in 2002.
Congratulations to Box Hill HS for the 2011 film Alle Wege führen nach Rom winning the Most Outstanding Film in 10 years of the competition in Victoria at the 2012 School Film Festival in Melbourne.
Winners of the AGTV SAGSE Scholarship
The AGTV has sponsored a SAGSE Scholarship since 1979.
Information about this scholarship program founded in 1967 on the SAGSE Website
- 2016 - tbc - Presented at the SAGSE Banquet in October
- 2015 - Matthew Atherton - VSL Distance Ed (Timboon P-12 College)
- 2014 - Michelle Roberts - VSL Distance Ed (Corryong College)
- 2013 - Amber Hanson - Oberon HS
- 2012 - Brittany Wren - Dimboola Memorial SC
- 2011 - Gemma O'Hara - Billanook College
- 2010 - Harrison Watt - Heathmont College
- 2009 - Henry Paez - Castlemaine SC
- 2008 - Lauren Cahill - Mount Eliza SC
- 2007 - Andrew Madden - Oberon HS
- 2006 - Josh McKie - Melbourne GS
- 2005 - Alecia Black - Marist-Sion College
Language Perfect World Championships
Students from around the world compete in this award-winning, international online competition. An entry fee usually applies.
AGTV member schools compete for the AGTV LP Cup - and special prizes for primary schools.
WINNERS OF THE AGTV LP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CUP
- 2016 - McKinnon Secondary College
- 2016 - Special Primary School Awards - Spring Gully PS
- 2015 - Viewbank College
- 2015 - Special Primary School Awards - Spring Gully PS
- 2014 - Viewbank College + World Champions for German
- 2013 - Viewbank College
NEWS FROM EUROPE
Listen and read about the news in German. Reports are drawn from various sources. You can research topics with the search engine for Blinde Kuh and much more - in German.
News, games etc
Sowieso is a portal for news and more
News and Information about Sport
Learn about Germany through Slow German Podcasts with transcripts.
European Green Capital Awards
Online newspaper (plus much more) for younger students in Germany. Great for learners of German, the articles are brief and cover a range of topics and are archived from A to Z.
- Sowieso - in German
Online magazine for younger readers but also easier reading for older readers
- Zzzebra - Jugendmagazin für Kinder - homepage changes each month
Find out what is going on in Germany for young people.
- Young Germany - in English
Daily Blog of Cultural Information
- Germanheit - in English
- See News and Events: Media Links for further sites for radio, newspaper and television online.
Hilfe! Ich verstehe nicht.
Need help with understanding the news in German? Learn common vocabulary used.
GERMAN ON THE RADIO IN OZ AND NZ
SBS Radio German Program
Listen to German radio streaming online, through the SBS App or on your radio.
- SBS Radio German Program - 93.1 FM in Victoria
You can also contribute to a regular segment called Jungendmailbox and share your thoughts and opinions - in German of course. Ask your teacher how?
World Premiere: JUGENDMAILBOX on SBS Radio 2011
An opportunity for students to hear their voices on the airways about topics that are of interest or concern to them. Ask your teacher how to become involved in the JUGENDMAILBOX project.
GDO - German Day Out July 2011
- Deutsche in Melbourne - read an online report
BLOG by a Victorian Student on the BJR Exchange 2010-2011
A personal Blog from a student beginning with hosting and then her experiences on exchange and beyond:
SAGSE Scholarship De-Briefing in March 2012
Gemma O'Hare, the recipient of the AGTV sponsored Society for Australian-German Student Exchange scholarship in 2011, spoke very well at the De-Briefing held at Scotch College. The De-Briefing is where the scholarship winners formally report on their experiences to their sponsors and the public, including students interested in applying.
- Report from Gemma - Read her formal report to the society.
Blasts from the Pasts
Primary students wrote Elfchen poems after the Primary German Day Out at the Zoo in 2008.