Ideas & Innovation
Focus on Culture - Ideas & Innovation
Wer nicht vorwärts geht, der kommt zurück.
If you are not going forward, you are going backward.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Ideas and innovation have characterised the development of the western world, never more so than now.
Some of these ideas have created challenges, for which further and urgent research and innovation is required to ensure peaceful, healthy and prosperous coexistence.
Find out about current ideas and past inventions with enduring success today.
Ideas as Intellectual Property
If you have an idea, then you might want to learn about how to protect it through patents and trademarks. You also need to know how to legally access and use other people's ideas.
German: A Language of Innovation
Not only can you explore creativity of thinking and expressing ideas in German, you can also discuss and access the ideas in the language they were created. Not everything is translated.
Germany has been and continues to be a world leader in innovation and design.
- Deutschland denkt - a compact overview of the German research landscape and the academic research centres in Germany
- Cutting-edge Research - Dossier
- Renewables Made in Germany Portal - Germany is a world leader
- Energy for the Future - new ways to access power
- Nachhaltigkeit - Sustainability
- Greening with Goethe - Project in India
- European Green Capital - Recognition for innovation - Hamburg 2011
- VDI Freundeskreis Australien - Australien branch of a world wide network of German engineers
Inventions and Ideas
- German Creativity - Videos on different topics
- Deutsche Stars - Innovation, made in Germany
- The Top 40 Inventions - Step Into German
- Made in Germany - Discover German Originality
- Made in Germany - Deutsche Welle
- 50 Deutsche Vorbilder - Nominated by Die Zeit
- Volkswagen Beetle - longest running, most manufactured car in the world
- Car Museums in Germany - German icons
- Konrad Zuse - Inventor of the first digital and programmable computers
- Bauhaus - Futuristic approach to art, architecture and design
- A4 Paper - A German idea you handle every day
- Denim Jeans - Levi Strauss
- German Purity Law - Focus on quality since 1516
- Gutenberg's Printing Press ~ 1439 - Mass media begins
- Science in Switzerland
- Turanor - The biggest solar powered boat in the world, a German-built brainchild of a Swiss businessman and engineer, docked in Brisbane in 2011 on a round the world tour.
Research and Development Remains a High Priority
The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) has become the largest central research funding organisation in Germany over the course of its 80-year history.
Financed by the German federal and state governments, the DFG provides funding for research projects, covering all fields of science and the humanities, conducted at universities and publicly funded research institutions.
Germany - Land of Ideas
The 'Land of Ideas' initiative was launched in 2006 and showcases the people and institutions in Germany as those who "embody innovation, ingenuity and resourcefulness. The ones who bring these traits to life every day in schools, businesses, research institutions, initiatives and associations."
Deutsche Welle (DW)
- Future now - Highlighting innovations shaping tomorrow
- Euromaxx: The Truth about Germany - Inventors
Volkswagen: The Fun Theory
An initiative of Volkswagen to promote creativity to change people’s behaviour for the better.
Messe - a place for intercultural exchange and promotion of economic opportunities. Germany is home to some of the biggest trade fairs in the world.
Selected Trade Fairs
- Asia-Pacific Weeks Berlin
- Hannover Messe - The biggest trade fair for developments in technology for industry - das neuste Industry-Know-how
- CeBIT - The digital industry's biggest, most international event held in Hannover
- BIOTECHNICA - The world's largest trade fair for biotechnology
- Spielwarenmesse - International toy trade fair in Nürnberg
- Internationale Grüne Woche Berlin - World's biggest fair for food, agriculture and horticulture