Other Resources and Excursions
Goethe Boutique - Other Resources
Other Resources and Excursions
Here you will find more information about:
- Excursions - in person and virtual
- Language Trails
- Food excursions
- More resources for teachers
- Links to booksellers and publishers and more
Excursions and Language Trails
Excursions are a great way to build positive relationships with students. It is extra work to organise, but worth the effort.
Excursions and Language Trails in Melbourne
There are companies, businesses and restaurants with German-speaking links, as well as other public destinations.
- Goethe-Institut - Visit exhibitions or the library in St. Kilda Road Melbourne
- Autobahn -arrange for this promotional activity to visit your school or network with the Goethe-Institut in Melbourne
- Millionärskoffer - a smaller promotional kit you can borrow to use during class or a parent evening to promote German
- Festival of German Films - annual festival incl. films for school age children usual in April or May
- German Day Out - This event for secondary schools is in the morning usually in July and a MIFF usually offers a Next Gen film in the afternoon - see What's on for German
- Immigration Museum Victoria - The Goethe-Institut (GI) produced a resource kit for German, available in the GI Resource Centres (below)
- Fox Classic Car Collection - Visit the collection of vintage cars, many of them German, collected by Linsay Fox AC
- National Gallery Victoria - Both the Ian Potter and International galleries house artworks by German-speakers. Two kits are available in the GI Resource Centres.
- National Gallery Kit , Immigration Museum Kit and other resources - Melbourne office of Goethe-institut Ausralia
- Royal Botanic Gardens - Laid out by Sir Ferdinand Mueller, a German Baron. A language trail was developed for the Botanic Gardens and is available in the Resource Centres.
- Westgarthtown in Thomastown - An early settlement in Victoria by German-speakers 1850, now in the City of Whittlesea - Download Heritage Walk & Fact Sheet . See video on Coxy's Break. Facts about the garden from ABC Gardening Australia. Further Resources: AGTV 'German Heritage Trail' under Curriculum Materials
- Schwerkolt Cottage and Museum Complex - Original pioneer's stone cottage in Mitcham - Video images of the Cottage - Video and narration about Schwerkolt Cottage
- Schramm's Cottage - Another historical icon located in Doncaster
- Austrian Club - Tivoli Club - Swiss Club - Visit by arrangement
Language Trails Shared by the AGTV
- Queen Victoria Market - Complete a Language Trail (AGTV 2007)*
- NGV Ian Potter Gallery - Complete a Language Trail (AGTV 2007)*
- Sandridge Bridge Southbank - Complete a Language Trail (AGTV 2007) * - Teachers Info & Solutions
- Melbourne Zoo - Education - Complete a Rallye (2008) - Vokabelliste
*The Trails were accurate at the time of development.
Food Excursions and more
There are restaurants and clubs related to German-speaking communities, some of which have supported the AGTV and our partners through donations of prizes and use of venues or other support.
- Cuckoo Restaurant - in Olinda in the Dandenong Ranges, popular excursion for school groups
- Geman Clocks and Cafe - Warburton Hwy, Woori Yallock, also a popular excursion for school groups
- Hofbräuhaus - in Market Lane, Melbourne, also takes school groups
- Gewürzhaus - cooking school and retail
- Austrian Club - Heidelberg West, will open for school bookings
- Swiss Club - restaurant in Flinders Lane, CBD
- Club Tivoli - Dandenong Road, Windsor
Excursions in Regional Victoria and Beyond
- Ebenezer Mission - Moravian mission in the Wimmera
- Fairy Park - A tribute to fairy tales in Anakie near Geelong. Resources: 'Märchen Kit' under Curriculum Materials and German Fairytale Project
- Tatura Irrigation and Wartime Camps Museum - German-speakers were interned here during WWII. Resources: 'German Heritage Trail' under Curriculum Materials
- Bendigo Language Trails - Kits were produced by the Calder (formerly Bendigo) Network
- Die Brücke - German-speaking Clubs around Australia
- Christkindlmarkt - Christmas markets in Hahndorf, South Australia
Research other potential destinations related to German.
- German Australia - comprehensive survey of German in Oz
Incursions at Your School
- Poster Exhibition borrowed from the Goethe-Institut in Melbourne - various topics
- Cultural Infusion - dancers visit the school, puppet show
- Carrousel Theatre - bilingual puppet theartre
- Strings Attached - Puppet theartre from New Zealand
- National Film Archive - Goethe-Institut collection - borrow a DVD-film to screen at school or a local venue
- Memories in my Luggage 1935-1956 - Traveling exhibition in 2015, collating further stories
- The Enemy at Home - German Internees in WWI
- The Enemy Within - Internment and POW Camps in Victoria 1939-45 - article in SZENE
- Berliner Mauer - Berliner Morgenpost interactive site
- World of the Hapsburgers - Austria
MORE MATERIALS FOR TEACHERS
Selected resources in Australia and beyond for borrowing, downloading or purchase.
See also Teaching Resources on this website.
Department of Education and Training
- FUSE - online sharing of resources and links
The Languages and Multicultural Education Resource Centre (LMERC) is a government funded specialist resource centre for schools currently located in Carlton with free borrowing of materials. It is also a designated Goethe-Institut Resource Centre.
- LMERC - information, catalogue and location
Goethe-Institut Australia Resource Centres
Teachers can borrow audi- visual, print, games and other resources for free from Goethe-Institut Resource Centres around Australia and especially in Victoria. The AGTV thanks the Goethe-Institut and the schools housing the resource centres for this generous support of German programs. A larger collection is available for borrowing from the library at the Goethe-Institut in Melbourne, 1st Floor, 448 St. Kilda Road, Melbourne.
- Goethe-Institut Resource Centres in Victoria - free borrowing of resources, click on Victoria
Other Goethe-Institut Australia Materials
- Goethe-Institut Australia - resources
Goethe-Institut in Munich
Kultur und Sprache - Austria
Kultur und Sprache is a department of the Austrian Ministry for Bildung und Frauen (BM:BF).
New Zealand and German
- Musicisthelanguage - resources, radio program and more
- Language Perfect - learn vocabulary or compete in the Language Olympics
- Ritter Publications - materials for senior German - PDF file with order form
Language Bookshops in Victoria
All with online materials.
- Ernst Klett Sprachen International (Langenscheidt)
- Cengage Learning
- Mary Glasgow (Scholastic)
- Deutsch perfekt
- Deutsche Welle
- Mein Sprachportal - Austria
- Oesterreichisches Deutsch als Unterrichts- und Bildungssprache - DACH materials