Employment & Training
Teaching - Employment & Training
Jobs for Teachers of German in Victoria
Qualified language teachers can find work in Victoria. The time of advertising employment opportunities is spread throughout the year and application processes vary for different systems.
German is taught throughout metropolitan and country Victoria.
Here you can find links and information about pathways to teaching in Victorian schools in all systems.
DEECD LANGUAGE TEACHING SCHOLARSHIPS
For currently employed teachers in government schools:
DEECD LANGUAGE MAINTENANCE COURSE FOR TEACHERS OF GERMAN
DEECD are supporting teachers to complete Goethe-Institut A2/BI Course and Exam for teachers in goverment schools
Pathways to Becoming a Teacher of German
Your language skill in German need to be accredited through either formal tertiary study in the language or have your skills formally assessed.
For comprehensive information about qualifications for language teaching and language training and re-training programs, please refer to the Languages section of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
- DEECD Languages - Specific information about teaching languages
- Teaching Careers - pathways and scholarships in government schools
- International Teaching Program - government schools
The DAAD offers scholarship for tertiary students to study in Germany as part of your undergraduate degree. The Goethe-Institut offers language scholarships for training teachers as well as qualified teachers, language courses in Melbourne, and an annual Summer School in Australia. Endeavour Language Scholarships are also offered by the Federal Government for practising teachers.
Look under Why German: Where to learn German for further information.
If you are wondering about why to learn German, see Why German: German for Your Future
Teacher Registration in Victoria
If you want to teach in Victorian schools in Victoria, you need to be registered with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).
In addition to proving that you have the appropriate qualifications to be registered as a teacher, you need to meet the professional standards for graduating teachers, and satisfy a police check, as do all employees working with children.
- VIT Professional Standards - standards for graduating teachers leading to full registration
To maintain registration, you need to pay an annual fee and demonstrate evidence of completing professional development. Individual membership of the AGTV can be used as evidence of professional engagement.
- If you were trained overseas, you need your qualifications accredited: Australian Education International
- Other information in the German language about teaching, visas, teacher assistants, visas can be found on the FAQs of the AusDaF website
- Various websites for international students about tertiary study in Australia: Study in Australia - Study Options in Australia for International Students
Finding a Teacher of German
The AGTV is happy to use our electronic networks to advertise a position for a teacher of German in Victoria and beyond.
Teacher Assistants in Germany and Australia
- If you are a graduate under 29 with a good knowledge of German, you can apply to be an assistant for English in a German school
- Government schools in Victoria can apply for a teacher assistant for German. Information is forwarded to schools.
Finding a Job as a Teacher of German in Victoria
Employment for qualified teachers of languages is available in Government, Independent, Catholic, and Community schools, as well as for commercial Adult Education courses.
Schools advertise in print media in Victoria, most likely in the 'Careers and employment' sections of The Age and the Heraldsun on a Saturday.
Victorian Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD)
Jobs are advertised online and applications are usually required to be submitted online. If successful, you will be appointed to a school, but employed by the DEECD.
- Comprehensive information about teaching in government schools (incl. career change, international teachers): Teaching Careers
- Jobs in Victorian government schools and the VSL: Recruitment online
- Government schools: Salary rates
Independent schools employ staff directly, applications are therefore made directly to each school. Teachers are covered by a salary award, but rates may vary from school to school.
- Independent Schools Victoria: Recruitment in Victoria
- Independent Schools: Employment Smartboard
- Independent schools: Salary rates
- Search for jobs in Lutheran schools for all subjects
Limited opportunities for teachers of German are available in Catholic Schools
There are some opportunities to teach German in Community Language Schools.
Tutors for students of German
If you intend on working with students under the age of 18, you will need a 'Working with Children' check if you cannot demonstrate current registration as a teacher.
Families occasionally ask the AGTV about tutors for students learning German, for which we can provide limited support, as we are not in a position to verify the experience or qualifications of tutors.